Hi,

So the subject might be a bit generic, but couldn't really come up with
anything better. Anyway, on to the point: having a problem with two servers
in my environment, where when running the puppet agent, it hogs all memory
and CPU; the weird thing is though that this only happens on to those two
specific servers, which manifest varies quite a bit. To make it a bit
easier to describe this issue, I'll call these servers server 1 and server
2. Server 1 runs puppet agent 3.4.2, while server 2 runs puppet agent
3.3.2. Both are running Debian 6 x86_64.

When running the agent in debug mode (puppet agent --test --debug --trace),
it looks like the issue appears at:

Debug: Prefetching apt resources for package
Debug: Executing '/usr/bin/dpkg-query-W--showformat'${Status} ${Package}
${Version} :DESC: ${Description}\n:DESC:\n''

What happens when this comes up in the log is that server 1 stands there
until it runs out of ram and starts killing processes (i.e. standard OOM
behaviour) while server 2 takes about half a minute to complete (with the
puppet agent hogging quite a bit of ram and 100% CPU), but then actually
completes properly. A detail regarding the execution time is that the
execution time reported to Puppet Dashboard when this happens isn't even
near the time it actually takes to run the command (for example, for server
2, it is reporting times somewhere around 10-15 sec).

So, anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Have anyone seen this
previously? (I was able to find quite a lot of posts regarding the puppet
agent eating a lot of resources, although I couldn't find anything which
seemed related to this specific issue)

Regards,
Aron Lander