On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 06:35:12AM -0700, jcbollinger wrote:
>    On Friday, March 7, 2014 11:38:20 AM UTC-6, Christopher Wood wrote:
>
>      (inline)
>
>      On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 09:39:44AM -0600, Kenton Brede wrote:
>      >    I've got a module that installs and configures LDAP for user
>      >    authentication.� I've got another module that creates user
>      directories and
>      >    another that assigns ssh keys.
>      >
>      >    Using runstages I force the "ldap" module to run first and the
>      "user" and
>      >    "ssh_keys" modules to run last.
>      >    LDAP is installed but the exec that creates user directories and
>      the
>      >    ssh_authorized_key type fail since they can't see the LDAP users.
>      >
>      >    The reason being, I'm assuming, is because when the manifest is
>      compiled,
>      >    the LDAP users don't exist.� So ssh_authorized_key fails, even if
>      the LDAP
>      >    user information can be retrieved, by the time the ssh_keys module
>      runs.
>      >
>      >    Is there any way around this?
>
>      Sounds like this somewhere top-scope:
>
>      Class['ldap'] -> User <| |>
>
>      So your ldap class would have to be successfully managed before puppet
>      tries to manage any users.
>
>    That's what the OP attempts to do via run stages.  Inasmuch as I don't
>    care much for run stages, though, I do prefer the suggested chaining
>    approach.  Nevertheless, if run stages didn't work then chaining probably
>    won't solve the problem either.

Now there's a point. Back in the (2.6) day when I had puppet-managed resources
in ldap users' home directories I didn't run into the above problem, but I had
some require chaining going on.

There could still be other things going on, like nscd caching a previous files
lookup or the ldap configuration in question returning intermittent false
results (timeout, load balancer choke, incorrect search filter). If I had my
hands on this system I might check with tcpdump whether there are any ldap
searches performed while puppet is attempting to manage user-dependent
resources, which would give further hints where the issue might lie.