How can one change an existing entry with augeas on a numbered entry list?

specifically I want to add entries in syslog to the entry that has "file =
/var/log/messages"

I can use this search string to find the entry:

augtool> print /files/etc/syslog.conf/*/action/file[. =
"/var/log/messages"]
/files/etc/syslog.conf/entry[1]/action/file = "/var/log/messages"

The augeas examples really only show editing values that would be below
file.  I need to edit a a lower level then file. i.e.
/files/etc/syslog.conf/entry[1]/selector[last() + 1]?

How can this be done from augeas and puppet?  (also should this go the the
augeas list instead?)