Over the weekend there were some intermittent outages at our data center.
The puppet server would let clients connect but they would eventually time
out.

Unf this timeout wasn't handled gracefully and the clients would hang.
Doing a 'ps -ax | grep puppet' would show the service and the 'puppet
agent: applying configuration'. No activity available in the message log
for many hours though which indicated an unhappiness.

If I killed the process and did 'puppet agent --test --debug' I could see
it get to where it tried to download the configuration. Doing this
interactively it would exit properly. If I restarted the service it would
stop and hang there.

Server: CentOS 6.4 (x64).
puppet 3.4.0
apache 2 / Passenger