On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Daniele Sluijters
<daniele.sluijt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to be slightly blunt here.

That's fair.

> The authors of the book have, repeatedly, ask you to connect with them
through different channels and
> contribute your fixes to the Github repository that was set up.

One author asked me once. I've never heard from any of the other authors.

Furthermore, as of today, Apress *still* doesn't show anything on
their Errata page for the book. That's the first place where issues should
show up.

>Though I appreciate your review of the book, the way you've handled the
situation is
> not exactly exemplary.

I obviously don't agree. I'm doing this editing for free, on my own
time. I don't make any money from doing it. Helping the authors, who are
making money
from the book (which is entirely fine), doesn't seem like an exemplary way
to handle the situation either. The list of issues is freely available
for them, or anybody
else, to do whatever they want with, including putting them on GitHub.

Let's say I had chosen to work with the authors. What difference would that
have made?

> I'm also wondering what you're trying to achieve here. I'm sure you
realise
> that most people won't be reading your posts on the mailing lists before
> buying the book.

Maybe not, but I hope I've helped those that do.

Other than listing the issues with the book, I'm not trying to achieve
anything.
I'm not a Puppet expert so I'm not promoting a Puppet consulting business.
These days I don't work as an editor so I'm not trying to get editing work.

> From reading your comments most of them are not about
> errors with regard to Puppet but with (perceived) errors in grammar, style
> or formatting.

Exactly right. This is a point I've made several times. But these are
exactly the kind of errors that the publisher had the responsibility
to fix. They didn't. When I buy a book with these kinds of problems
I feel ripped off, especially since it's not that hard to do right.
It's the technical stuff about Puppet that's hard.

I just got a copy of the latest version of Patterson and Hennesy's
Computer Architecture book. That's an example of how a book should
be edited.

> Only a few are actually about code or command errors and a
> few about terminology that's used before it's been explained or other
issues
> that could potentially hamper the users understanding.

Right again. I even went to the trouble of clearly labeling the issues I
found so that people who don't care about typos, grammar, style, or
formatting can ignore all that and only look at the true errors.

I knew that not everyone would be interested in what I found. That's
why I clearly labeled my postings so that people who didn't care about
issues in the book could ignore what I said.

What would you have done?

Jon Forrest