We are in the middle of a similar task

We are manually fixing lint issues and putting a string '#PUPPET_LINT' at
the end of each fixed file. The pre commit hook checks for this string
before doing the lint check

All new puppet modules get the string put in immediately

At some time in the future, we will flip the logic and string change
to  '#NO_PUPPET_LINT'
for the challenging files and lint check by default

John

On Friday, April 11, 2014, Rich Burroughs <r...@richburroughs.com> wrote:

> I saw one of the Puppet Labs webinars about setting up your Puppet
> development environment, and at one point it mentioned using a git hook to
> run puppet-lint before committing. We do that where I work with "puppet
> parser validate," but right now a lot of our code would not pass a
> puppet-lint run with no options.
>
> I'm curious how many people actually are that strict about it.
>
> Also, I have a couple of specific questions about errors that show up in
> our manifests commonly.
>
> We get this a lot:
>
>   WARNING: quoted boolean value found on line 39
>
> With code like this:
>
>     $foo=hiera('foo', 'false'),
>
> We've given a default of false for a Hiera lookup. It doesn't seem like
> there's a way around this, it seems like it actually needs to be quoted.
>
> One other example:
>
>   WARNING: double quoted string containing no variables on line 57
>
> We get this when we are doing a tidy and are globbing:
>
>   tidy { $log_directory:
>     schedule => weekly,
>     backup   => false,
>     type     => ctime,
>     recurse  => true,
>     matches  => "foo.out*",
>     age      => 97d,
>   }
>
> Again, I think this is supposed to be double quoted (I found some examples
> on the Puppet Labs site that had double quotes).
>
> I know I can pass options to disable those checks, but in both cases there
> are times we might legitimately make a mistake that would cause that error,
> and I wouldn't want to ignore those...
>

> Rich
>

>  --
> email to
> puppet-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','puppet-users%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com');>
> .
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/c459b945-cc6d-46c7-9dff-0ae6eab814e6%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/c459b945-cc6d-46c7-9dff-0ae6eab814e6%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

John Warburton
Ph: 0417 299 600
Email: jwarbur...@gmail.com