I was wondering if any of you had experience with running a puppet agent on
a machine owned by a customer.
The customer in this case has root access on his own machine and the puppet
agent is managed by me because I like to manage resources on his node.

These resources can be
- an account for emergency maintenance (and reset the password every now
and then according to password policy)
- a monitoring client (manage the monitoring host depending on
datacenter/region)
- inventory scripts and custom facts for CMDB

I prefer to keep the agent running on this node and not only apply config
during initial deployment, but here comes the challenge:

Lets say this customer also sees the light of puppet and likes to run this
own master on this node or wants to use puppet apply because he only has
one vm but likes to use modules from the forge to configure his server.

- is this possible? multiple agents on a node, if so what will be in
/etc/puppet/puppet.conf?
- should you want this ; a customer connecting to your master and also run
his puppet apply/agent on this own server. How do you do this?
- how do you handle puppet packages? e.g. I want to run the latest puppet
from gems, he uses debs.

I like to see how others are using puppet in a environment where there is
the provider delivering a virtual machine and does *some* management where
the customer also wants to be in the same/different puppet boat.

--
Kind Regards,

Martin Willemsma