On Tuesday, March 18, 2014 4:03:38 PM UTC-5, Alexander Gray II wrote:

> I have weird scenario:
> When I run puppet for the very first time, it always fails, but when I
> re-run puppet on that machine, it always passes.
> I must have some obscure dependency issue somewhere and I'm trying to
> track it down.
>
> Something *must* be occurring after the first error (puppet continues to
> run after that first error), but I would like to stop puppet the moment it
> encounters that error so that I can snoop around that machine.

This kind of problem often arises when you are using Puppet to install
software that it needs to use for other configuration tasks.  Sometimes
(and moreso in the most recent versions of Puppet) you can fix the problem
by declaring resource relationships the require Puppet to sync the software
(typically by applying a Package resource) before it tries to apply
whatever resource it is that otherwise fails the first time.

> Is there anyway for puppet to exit the moment it encounters an error?

Not as far as I am aware.  Puppet is designed specifically to apply as much
of the nodes configuration as it can.  The log will tell you the order in
which resources were applied, and which one(s) failed.  It will give that
and more to you in great detail if you enable verbose logging (--verbose
flag).

John