I believe this question is different from others I've seen posted (correct
me if I've missed something!).

We are looking to automate the creation of VM images, for our growing
environment (development, test and production) -- while we're still
debating internally about config management options, we have been using
Puppet (open source) for our older environment (PE is also under
consideration).   One of the catches is that VMware provides and API and
CLI tools that allow you to query the ESX host (to the extent, I don't yet
know) -- such as resources available etc.    We would want to do that prior
to provisioning a VM, since we have vSphere and several ESX that are
managed therein.   The internal desire is to have this process as
fully-automated from the CLI as possible.   I personally would give up some
automation for features, but I digress (I'm in the minority, it seems).

Can anyone comment on this.  There are several tools out there, most which
integrate with Puppet or other config management tools, but I don't know
which (if any) have the ability beyond basic provisioning to speak/query to
the ESX host such as what is provided by VMware (CLI, API/SOAP).

It's really a factor of many ways to "skin the cat" -- finding which one
works for us.

Thanks.