On Monday, May 12, 2014 3:55:57 AM UTC-5, Jonathan Gazeley wrote:

> This crossed my mind. NFS-mounted lock files seem like a disaster waiting
> to happen, though. I suppose the puppetmaster could host the NFS share and
> then if the puppetmaster or the network is down, the node wouldn't have
> been able to check in anyway.
>
> I was also wondering if PuppetDB could be used for this way, or even a
> general purpose database with lock rows.

For what it's worth, Puppet appears to use straight O_EXCL
locking<https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/fd78c22fe07500dedc254f02389cb0954d7e5540/lib/puppet/util/lockfile.rb>,

which, indeed, does not work reliably on NFS file systems.  It might be
amusing to file an RFE ticket for this, but that won't get you a solution
in time to serve your present need.

I'd be surprised if PuppetDB would serve this purpose.  It's an interesting
problem.

John