The control file was modified in particular to be compatible with the
make-jpkg created packages to work around older releases like Debian 6
squeeze:

https://wiki.debian.org/JavaPackage

Unfortunately this was the closest we could find to a standard way of
supporting a dependency against a Debian 6 built JDK 7 package. Its
unfortunate openjdk 7 was never back-ported to squeeze, but these
decisions are beyond us mere mortals.

So as long as your package is built using the standard make-jpkg
instructions, this should work for you. In our tests we've created a
repo of a make-jpkg package for ourselves and it adequately works
during our acceptance tests, so it should work for others in theory -
(unless the package name was customised I suppose).

If it doesn't work, provide the details of the created package and
I'll take a look.

ken.