Hi,

Just wrote my first puppet module for Windows  provisioning. All is working
well except I am having a problem running a windows exe file in that Puppet
appears to wait for the exe to complete. At least this is the case when I
run Puppet agent --test from the Windows Server command line.

What I want to do here is install a set of files for a Riemann monitoring
client on several Windows Server 2008 R1 VMs. These files include an exe,
which I want to start and run in perpetuity. I don't want Puppet to wait
for this process to complete. It appears I could run the exe in a separate
shell using cmd.exe, but when I try that on the command line I do not see
the named process running in the Resource Monitor. I only see cmd.exe
running. This is not very informative.

My question is, what is the best way to run this executable via Puppet?
Should I convert the exe to a Windows service, install that and run it as a
service? Should I use shell cmd and live with the unhelpful Resource
Monitor listing? Or should I use Power Shell to fork the process like I
would in linux?

Any help would be most appreciated.