Hi all,

Interesting timing challenge around installing dotnet on Windows 2008 R2
Data Cente.

In essence, when we run the following command, it appears to complete in a
few seconds. The reality is that it spawns multiple new msiexecs to install
and configure itself over the next 5 mins or so.

dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /q /norestart

This causes an obvious issue if we need to install a bit of software with
dotnet as a dependancy, unless, we can "wait" until dotnet has finished
it's 5 min dance.

>From command line, this issue is resolved by adding a "start /wait" to the
above command. The next challenge is how to get the correct syntax for my
exec statement;

command   => "start /wait
${dotnet::params::deployment_root}\\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe
/q /norestart",

Without the "start /wait", the above command "works".

With the "start /wait", it complains as follows...

/Stage[main]//Dotnet[dotnet45]/Exec[install-dotnet-45]/returns:

Error: start /wait

C:\ProgramData\PuppetLabs\puppet\etc\modules\dotnet\files\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe
/q /norestart returned 1 instead of one of [0]

 Short of writing a new function called "go for a cup of tea" feeding it
the required number of sleep seconds(!), does anybody have any experiences
or ideas around this one??
--
Regs,

Stephen J Wallace