Alex,

The more complete idea would be to trigger when resources have
actually been applied. So I would probably consider a report listener
for this kind of thing, as it shows when a resource has changed rather
than compiled.

I think Chris Spence has a tool for this kind of thing that uses MCO
to trigger the runs:

https://github.com/fiddyspence/puppet-mconotify

ken.