hi there,

i'm currently trying to setup a automated update deliverysystem for a
little program we develop.
in order to do that efficiently i was tasked to evaluate possible solutions
and landed at puppets doorstep.

i wrote a small manifest that should do the trick (and it mostly does) and
know its time to go through a couple of setup scenarios different customers
may run.

one of them includes the usage of proxyservers, so i looked up the
reference guide for the puppet.conf file and was happy to find the options
"http_proxy_host/port"
i thought sweet, just specify the ip / port in the puppet.conf on the
client that uses a proxy (c:\programdata\puppetlabs\puppet\etc) and off we
go.

i my little test setup i run a freeware proxy and setup my gateway of the
puppet client to that proxy, in troubleshooting why it doesnt work, i found
that i shouldnt specify the ip rather than the fqdn of the proxy.
i did that, the client was talking to the server (i guess?) but i runs into
an error, that says it didnt find any node definition for my client.

if i remove the proxy settings/setup the manifest runs smooth.

my initial thoughts would be 2 things i would like advice on:

maybe the puppet.conf on the client isnt the right place to try and specify
the proxy settings? after a couple of google searches i found hits where
people adviced to defining those settings environment variable with export?
and since i'm just starting to puppet, i didnt really found that comment to
be particulary helpful for me.

the second part may be to nameresolution? i dont run a dns server or domain
server, just the puppet master in a debian vm and 2 win 7 vms (1 client /
the other as the proxy server).
since i dont run a domain, i added a dns suffix for the proxy vm and tryed
addressing it with "proxyserver.local" in the puppet.conf but that
technicaly doesnt qualify as fdqn (right?) and for caution i added the
proxy to the hosts file of the puppet client.

any pointers to get that going? i have no idea what else i can try.

any help would be much appreciated
greetings

robert