On 07/14/2014 05:07 PM, Henrik Lindberg wrote:
>>  From my point of view is better a warning when a empty string is taken
>> as a false, than some configuration applied erroneously once upgraded
>> to 4.0
>>

> We encourage testing with 3.7 future parser. If it turns out to be a
> problem for many (breakage due to undef/'' change) we will see what we
> can do about it. We are not sure we can find and efficiently check all
> occurrences as it involves reporting all places where an undef was not
> turned into a string that is passed off to logic that may or may not
> compare it to a Boolean. (This is the very essence of the problem; not
> knowing if something is a defined string or not later in the evaluation).

The warning would also cause a false sense of security - just because
your *current* manifest and data are clean of "" == false assumptions,
it's not assured that there are no lurking conditionals that are prone
to break once a node has a change to its data or facts, or a new node
with such data appears.

There will be no alternative but to carefully review our code before the
Puppet 4 upgrade. Checking for catalog differences from the future
parser will help, too.

Cheers,
Felix