On 2014-07-26 18:46, Sergey Arlashin wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm using webrick based puppetmaster. After upgrading to 3.6.x I noticed that
> when I alter some of my manifests or templates puppet continues to apply the
> old set of manifests. Puppet agents behave like there are no changes at all.
> It usually takes puppet 2-5 minutes to start shipping the new config.
> I can restart puppet master and then everything goes well. But I'd like to do
> without restarting puppet master.
> The documentation says that something like this can be achieved by touching
> site.pp . But I don't use site.pp any more due to 'import' deprecation, and
> touching all files in manifests folder doesn't solve the problem.
> So the question is - is it possible to force the reload of my manifests
> without restarting puppet master?
> Or may be switching to passenger based puppet can solve the problem ?

Environments and their manifests are cached for three minutes by default
so this is what you are seeing here.

Have a look at
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/environments.html#tuning-environment-caching
and
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/3.6.latest/configuration.html#environmenttimeout
for more information and how to change the default behaviour.

Switching to Apache and Passenger is definitely recommended though, for
numerous reasons (http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/passenger.html).
With Passenger getting the Puppetmaster to reload the cached
environments is as easy as running "service apache2 reload".

Andreas