kOn Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Mike Reed <mjohn.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suppose I have two questions:
>
> 1.  Is there a simple way to push messages to a file other than
> /var/log/syslog on an Ubuntu machine?

I think the rsyslog Ramin mentioned is a good way to filter.

> 2.  Is there a preferred way in the community by which people aggregate
> logs to make troubleshooting nodes issues easier to manage?

I use syslog forwarding to a central log collector and then use rsyslog
collector to separate the Puppet events to their own file. I feed the files
into Splunk.

I also have a Puppet report-processor that logs via syslog with the data in
a key=value format, which is automatically extracted by Splunk but might be
useful for other log event management systems:

https://forge.puppetlabs.com/wcooley/cimlog_report

This only handles data from the agent (but it logged by the master); the
master can still have errors and data outside of the agents' reports that's
useful. For example, the catalog compile time is logged by the master and
some failures only show up on the master; analysing the Apache (or whatever
HTTP/Rack server you use) is also useful analysing what is being most
frequently requested.

I have a Splunk app I've written (but never quite finished enough to push
to Splunk-base):

https://github.com/wcooley/splunk-puppet

Much of this can be done with PuppetDB and Erik Dalen's demo Puppet
Explorer looks like it handles much of the visualization too.

Wil