On Monday, September 15, 2014 10:19:35 AM UTC-5, Mike Reed wrote:

> @Xav, thanks for the information and pointers.  I've added the 'default'
> value into my arrays and things are running smoothly now.  I'm still a bit
> hazy on the resource ordering and how hiera by default, deals with applying
> resources within (for example) a hiera.yaml file but for now, I have enough
> into to get on with.

Hiera has no (direct) role in applying resources.  It is strictly a data
service.

I think you may mean you're hazy about how Hiera handles interpolation of
Puppet variables (%{variable_name}).  You are welcome to ask about that
here, but you probably should also consult the documentation
<https://docs.puppetlabs.com/hiera/1/>, and in particular the docs on
interpolation tokens
<https://docs.puppetlabs.com/hiera/1/variables.html#interpolation-tokens>,
to help fill in the picture.

Among the things it is important to understand is that each invocation of
Hiera, whether explicitly via one of the DSL functions or implicitly for
class parameter binding, is independent as far as Hiera itself is
concerned.  That's part of why you can use Hiera to initialize variables
that Hiera will interpolate on subsequent invocations.

John