On Monday, September 22, 2014 6:36:32 PM UTC-5, Robert Davidson wrote:

> When creating users from hiera, it's simple enough to make them all
> virtual using create_resources and then realize them. This does leave me
> with a question, though.
>
> How do I make sure that the assorted groups associated with each user are
> created with the proper gid? I don't see any easy way to define "If this
> group is created, use this gid" in puppet. Am I missing something?

Perhaps you are missing the Group resource type.  If you want Puppet to
manage groups, then those are the vehicle.

Note, however, that that although you get to decide whether any given group
is managed, and if it is, you can specify which gid it should have (even
for groups that already exist), you cannot lay down such an abstract rule
as the one you actually asked for.

John