On Saturday, October 4, 2014, Felix Frank <felix.fr...@alumni.tu-berlin.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/04/2014 11:11 AM, Rachel Andrew wrote:
> >
> > I've created environments/production/modules and
> > environments/production/manifests
> >
> > I believe I can just set default_manifest in my puppet.conf on the
> > puppetmaster to /etc/puppet/manifests and then all environments will
> > continue to use that (I want to have some dev nodes talking to this
> > puppetmaster soon but I'll just get it all working first)

If you set default_manifest to /etc/puppet/manifests then it will ignore
/etc/puppet/environments/production/manifests. One or the other, but not
both.

If you set environmentpath = /etc/puppet/environments and don't set
default_manifest, the manifests directory from the environment directory
will be read.

> You mean "manifest" I assume - "default_manifest" is not an available
> option.

default_manifest is new in 3.7 and defaults to ./manifests for use with
directory environments.

> You should set it to '/path/to/environments/production/manifests'. And
> no, this is not used for each environment. It is used for production
> only. With directory environments, I suppose it's not used at all when
> there is a "production" tree among your environment directories.
>
> Before switching to directory environments, set
>
> manifest = /path/to/environments/production/manifests
> modulepath = /path/to/environments/production/modules
>
> and remove those settings once directory environments take effect.
>
> > If I have done the above do I need anything in the
> > production/manifests directory or will it simply default to using that
> > specified as default_manifest?
>
> All manifest files that are not found by the autoloader through
> declaration of classes or defined types should be placed directly in
> your manifests directory (i.e., files that needed an import statement
> earlier).
>
> > Having then set a default_manifest which is a directory can I just
> > remove the import and these files will be compiled together? I can see
> > best practice would be to use an ENC, which I may explore but as a
> > small infrastructure I'd just like to make the transition in small steps.

Yep. Set default_manifest to a directory and it will read all manifests
from there. No need for imports.

> ENC is best practice? That would be news to me. It's perfectly valid to
> omit a node classifier.
>
> Just make sure all unmodularizable code is in the manifest directory, yes.
>
> HTH,
> Felix

-Hunter