Hi Johan,

Thank you very much for the  information.

I am not using the machine information from Sybase to do node
classification in puppet.  My node classification is done by Puppet
Dashboard.

My Sybase database doesn't contain any puppet class information. It
contains the hostname and the workgroup the host belongs to.  What I want
to return from my database query is: given a hostname, please tell me which
workgroup it belongs to, then based on the workgroup value, my puppet class
will decide which template to apply to this host.

That's why I think a custom fact might do this job: I will define a custom
fact, which will get hostname and then connect to Sybase to determine this
host's workgroup. I actually already have the perl script to do this job,
but need to convert it to Ruby scirpt (puppet fact is defined in Ruby).

I am still doing research to find out what is the best approach. Will let
you know.

Thanks,
Stella