I was trying to avoid it, because we are also migrating to Git-centric
workflow, and trying to set up per-branch environments -- it seems to me
that the environment config files will be hard to keep straight under such
setup.

Unless I add environment.conf to the .gitignore, and instantiate it
automatically for each branch as it's created?.. Is that what I am *supposed
*to do?

I am confused, because I was under impression that the per-environment
modules and manifests were supposed to be processed *automatically*, just
by the fact the myEnvironment/modules and myEnvironment/manifests
directories existed, and per-directory environments were enabled. Am I
wrong? Do I have to explicitly set those in environment.conf?