On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 06:09:08PM -0700, Garrett Honeycutt wrote:
> On 10/26/14 4:46 PM, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> >
> > So I've been using puppet for a long time, and the one thing
> > I've never solved to my satisfaction is a way to have a single
> > source of truth that acts as both instructions to puppet *and*
> > as a system inventory that I can use for general opertaions
> > (i.e. "how many tomcat hosts do we have?").
> >
> > When Hiera came along I shifted to that, believing that it was
> > the right solution here, and I've managed to hack together
> > something that works, but it's pretty inelegant.  The reason is
> > that to get a proper inventory out of hiera requires collating
> > all the hiera data from the point of view of each host, so that
> > all the hierarchical processing is correct, and then mushing all
> > those results together. I've got a system to do that, but it's
> > pretty hacky.
> >
> > Is there some better way of combining a general inventory system
> > and puppet?  Is this a Puppet Enterprise sort of thing?
> >

> Hi,
>
> Are you using PuppetDB?
[or mcollective]

I want to store data about what's *supposed* to be true about our
systems, not what is *actually* true.  i.e. "host X is supposed to
be up and in subnet Y", even if it's never actually been turned on.

--
http://intelligence.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.
.i ko na cpedu lo nu stidi vau loi jbopre .i dafsku lu na go'i li'u .e