Hi Craig,

If you scroll down on the website you mentioned, you'll see some usage
instructions.
I recommend *not* to change the module (not even adding your own wl.pp file
inside), but to set up your wl.pp file elsewhere.
You can use your own class (wl.pp, located outside this module) to set up
the LDAP configuration using the module.

I use the roles/profile setup, but you can leave the roles out if that is
easier for you, it takes some time getting to really know it all.
That said, the ldap module controls ldap, but not your node.
your node should have some other class assigned to it (such as wl.pp),
which then uses the ldap module, unchanged.
More info about the roles/profile pattern:
http://www.craigdunn.org/2012/05/239/
One of the ideas here is that you should never need to change a module you
download from the forge (with some rare exceptions)

Regards,
Steven