Hi,

So if I understand correctly, I can use 'null' as a value, and it will be
used instead of the value somewhere lower on the hierarchy?
If that is the case, my problem is solved (I think). Completely preventing
the nonsensical stuff is not the goal here, but it should be possible in
hiera to avoid it by being able to remove already set options.

I can indeed modify the consumer of data as well, but since this is already
used in production, I need to be a bit careful with the changes I do.
I don't know if our setup already supports yaml 1.2, our hiera version
currently is 1.3.1

I'll test this out and get back with my findings.

Regards,
Steven