Hi,

I just stated looking closer on the puppet so please forgive me if my
questions or dilemmas would be a little not accurate in context of puppet.

I'm trying to solve couple of problems with install infrastructure for more
than one OS. Let's say that initially would be rpm based Linux and Solaris.
Generally installation infrastructure across many hosts shares some set of
stages like a choosing set of software which needs to be installed,
authentication setup, choosing devices(s) used on install etc.
In case Linux to perform such set of operation you must have kickstart
profile which will do all what is needed. In case Solaris you must have
personalized AI profile and manifest.
Updating install profiles it is modifying set of KS profiles and for
example files with PXE bootloader configuration files in pxelinux.cfg/
directory served by TFTP server. In case AI installer profiles and
manifests must be updated and imported to AI database.
Additionally on higher level it would be good to keep track some additional
settings like guarantee that none of two hosts will be sharing the same
addresses, updating DNS records, updating firewall settings or switches
ACLs.

In this case I'm not talking about automate simple installation but whole
multistage provisioning process which should be not started if some
dependence will be not fulfilled and/or even committing some new change in
setup should be refused if some inconsistencies will be not fulfilled.

I know that I can solve such set of problems using quattor and pan
language. Problem is that IMO quattor community has IMO real problems with
lack of understanding present days large scale installations in
heterogeneous envs which makes choosing this software in long term a bit
risky.
Puppet seems has much healthier community and such risk is IMO way lower.

Questions only is am I will be able to solve all my above problems with
install infrastructure using puppet using set of templates, with per host
parameters, dependency rules and checking automatically on updating host(s)
install settings automatically to start whole cascade of updates in
provisioning process set of additional actions to update DNS, other files
on some hosts easier than using quattor?
If such answer would be positive can I ask someone to point on  some needed
here documentation(s) to dig by myself for necessary details? :)

I'll be really appreciated any comments or advice If anyone is using puppet
or other software solving something similar :)

Regards

Tomasz