On Sunday, November 23, 2014 2:31:12 PM UTC-6, Felix.Frank wrote:

> On 11/23/2014 10:31 AM, Philipp Dallig wrote:
> > Nov 23 10:08:06 puppetmaster01 puppet-master[21761]: Compiled catalog
> > for xymon.xxxxx.com in environment production in 241.31 seconds
>
> There's some 120 second compiler runs, and some 240s. Multiples of 120
> seconds? That certainly has a meaning, but I have no idea what that is.

Good call.  A distribution of compile times like that -- clustered around
integer multiples of 120s -- is not natural.  It's shouting "timeout" to
me, with the most likely thing to be timing out being name service
lookups.  Check the master's name server configuration.  My guess would be
that one of its 2-3 configured domain name servers is offline or
malfunctioning.

You could test that hypothesis indirectly by performing a bunch of manual
name service lookups, and seeing whether any of them suffer similar
delays.  On the master, look up an affected client's name via 'nslookup' or
'dig' (or whatever client is appropriate if you're relying on a name
service different from DNS).  You could test it indirectly by entering the
name and address of one of the problematic clients in the master's 'hosts'
file (and ensuring that it is checked first, see 'nsswitch.conf').  If that
fixes the issue for that client, but others remain affected then you'll
have pretty well tied it down to a name service issue.

John