In regard to: [Puppet Users] Re: workarounds for ruby segfaults on puppet...:

Since RHEL 6.x has alternate versions of some packages (including ruby)
available via its Software Collections Library (SCL), I'm tempted to
try switching our puppet master to use the "ruby193-*" packages from
SCL.  A minor downside is that I won't be able to use the Puppet Labs
packages
anymore, at least on the master.

Hi Tim, why is it that you wouldn't be able to use the packages on the
master?

I think you should be able to point your apache 'PassengerRuby' directive
at the SCL ruby and be good to go.

As John Julien already responded, unfortunately that won't work.

When you use an updated package from the Software Collections Library,
it's essentially installed under a separate installation root, outside
of the /usr space.  The Puppet Labs packages install their bits to e.g.

        /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/

but with the SCL packages, that directory isn't going to be anything that
the SCL ruby would search.  It's going to instead look for things
installed in various places under its root, which is

        /opt/rh/ruby193/root/usr

I don't know if the package root directory is different for CentOS,
Scientific Linux, or other RHEL derivatives.

Another alternative that I'd recommend is to use the new puppetserver
package, which runs the master under JRuby and replaces the whole
Apache+Passenger+MRI ruby part of the stack.

We just got to 3.7.3, after running with 3.4.2 for about 9 months.  I
haven't yet had a chance to enable the future parser with our traditional
stack, so I don't think we're quite ready to bite the bullet and go to
puppetserver.  It's in our future, to be sure, but it has been painful
enough just getting the traditional stack upgraded.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!  Very much appreciated.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)