Hello,

We are looking at the different options out there to build a System
Management solution for embedded systems. I am encouraged by the fact that
puppet support opkg and it's already in use by OpenWRT (we build our own
distribution, but it's opkg-based). Digging/experimenting around with
puppet, it looks like it can do most of what we want. We would need to
write several modules, custom UI, etc, but it looks doable. The only
problem is that we absolutely must have Windows support for the host. That
is a deal breaker requirement, as many of our customers (unfortunately)
will expect Windows on the server side. As I am looking at options, I would
like to understand what would be the effort for the Windows port of the
server side components (at least puppet master, hiera, possibly puppetDB).
I do get that this is not a priority for the community and do understand
that if we take this approach, we would be maintaining the Windows server
side, which is something that is on the table for us.

I do apologize if this has been asked before (I saw a few references, but
with nothing concrete on the answers), but this is a data point that can
tilt the balance towards puppet adoption or not.

Thanks!

Alejandro del Castillo