Hi,

well, do you currently have storeconfigs=true in the master's
puppet.conf? Otherwise, you are not storing things yet (and cannot use
exported resources).

See also:
https://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/3.7.0/configuration.html#storeconfigs
and try
puppet master --configprint all | grep ^store

You can most likely just install and configure PuppetDB without risk of
loosing any data.

HTH,
Felix