On Friday, January 2, 2015 3:49:25 AM UTC-6, Alessandro Franceschi wrote:

> Hi all,
> with some hardly hidden pride and excitement I'd like to announce the
> first release of Tiny Puppet <https://github.com/example42/puppet-tp>
> ("Yet Another Puppet Abstraction Layer"), a Puppet module that allows easy,
> quick and coherent management of virtually any application.

I remember when you first introduced the Tiny Puppet idea to the group.
I'm amused now that at the time, in the context of the broader discussion,
you wrote "Sometimes I wonder if a totally data driven approach is
something that is always the right choice."  It doesn't look like TP is
*totally* data-driven, but it sure takes a big leap in that direction.

In any event, TP looks great.  It seems, in part, the natural evolution of
the module standards ideas: if one accepts the proposition that most low-
(and some not-so-low-)level modules should have standardized form, then not
only should we not need multiple modules to manage the same component, we
shouldn't really need multiple standardized modules, either.  Why write all
that boilerplate?  Automating that sort of thing is what computers are for.

In fact, there are good reasons for modules -- or at least classes --
wrapped around TP resources, but it certainly looks like TP will do a great
job of minimizing all the boilerplate, which I guess was a primary
objective.

Well done!

John