Some success: although I haven't solved the problem with site.pp (probably
due to hiera configuring environment folders - that I still can't
troubleshoot...) things start working with a custom ENC.
One of the reasons why ENC didn't work the first time was a class in
default master modules that was always setting the node_terminus to
classifier.
/opt/puppet/share/puppet/modules/puppet_enterprise/manifests/profile/master/classifier.pp

Changing node_terminus in puppet.conf to "exec" and restart puppetserver
had no effect as node_terminus was always changed back to classifier. Here
is the modified classifier.pp

  pe_ini_setting { 'node_terminus' :
    ensure  => present,
    path    => "${confdir}/puppet.conf",
    section => 'master',
    setting => 'node_terminus',
    value   => 'exec',  # changed from classifier
  }

Note: I also changed:
/opt/puppet/share/puppet/modules/puppet_enterprise/spec/classes/profile/master/classifier_spec.rb
from:
 it { should
contain_pe_ini_setting('node_terminus').with_value('classifier') }
to:
 it { should contain_pe_ini_setting('node_terminus').with_value('exec') }

Anyway, it looks like I can move on for now, but I have to admit that after
spending quite a few hours on these issues I am a bit disappointed with
puppetlabs docs.
Why doesn't each chapter on "configuration" have a troubleshooting section
with a minimum: "if things don't work out...", "relevant log files", "how
to turn on debugging" ?

Thanks.