Note that you can also just put the standard classes (and variables)
directly in the top scope. No real need to encapsulate them inside a node
scope (unless you are overriding the value of facts in the manifest, but
that seems like a pretty bad idea anyway).

A minor difference is also that resources that are inside a node scope will
automatically get tagged with the certname of the node, but resources and
classes in top scope won't. But that automatic tagging is mostly useless
and a waste of space in PuppetDB IMO.