I'm in the process of testing the upgrade of our puppet 3.7.4 instance
running under Apache/passenger to a new puppetserver setup on a RHEL7
machine.  So far things have gone well, but the server is unable to do
LDAP lookups.

After spinning my wheels for quite some time wondering why I kept
getting told in the trace-level logging "Failed to load library 'ldap'
for feature 'ldap'" and discovering the whole new jruby-gems directory
that is different from the system one, I tried the "approved" method:

# puppetserver gem install ruby-ldap
Fetching: ruby-ldap-0.9.16.gem (100%)
ERROR:  Error installing ruby-ldap:

    java -jar /usr/share/puppetserver/puppet-server-release.jar extconf.rb
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to
find bootstrap.cfg file via --bootstrap-config command line argument,
current working directory, or on classpath
        at
puppetlabs.trapperkeeper.bootstrap$find_bootstrap_config.invoke(bootstrap.clj:141)
        at puppetlabs.trapperkeeper.core$boot_with_cli_data.invoke(core.clj:113)
        at puppetlabs.trapperkeeper.core$run.invoke(core.clj:144)
        at puppetlabs.trapperkeeper.core$main.doInvoke(core.clj:159)
        at clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:408)
        at clojure.lang.Var.invoke(Var.java:415)
        at clojure.lang.AFn.applyToHelper(AFn.java:161)
        at clojure.lang.Var.applyTo(Var.java:532)
        at clojure.core$apply.invoke(core.clj:617)
        at puppetlabs.trapperkeeper.main$_main.doInvoke(main.clj:7)
        at clojure.lang.RestFn.applyTo(RestFn.java:137)
        at puppetlabs.trapperkeeper.main.main(Unknown Source)

Gem files will remain installed in
/var/lib/puppet/jruby-gems/gems/ruby-ldap-0.9.16 for inspection.
Results logged to
/var/lib/puppet/jruby-gems/gems/ruby-ldap-0.9.16/./gem_make.out

--
Steve Huston - W2SRH - Unix Sysadmin, PICSciE/CSES & Astrophysical Sci
  Princeton University  |    ICBM Address: 40.346344   -74.652242