It seems like other people have had this issue, and maybe it's when the
puppetmaster process restarts in the middle of somebody's agent run?

https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/3019
https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/4808

In your place I would probably do the following:

a) turn up the log level a bit on the master and agent
b) packet capture on agent->master connections

(You have the keys/certs for both ends so you can decrypt the traffic:
http://wiki.wireshark.org/SSL)

Then when it happens again I would correlate the time in the logs with the
packet capture to find the message that discussed the "end of file". Then I
would see if the agent actually received an EOF character or similar oddity
from the master. If the logs are detailed enough I might be able to track that
down to something happening on the master.

I tried grepping through my local puppet installation for those error messages
but I'm not skilled enough to tell how the things I found are relevant.