We're using a couple of techniques:

We bake them into our system images, and for ad-hoc we have a Rundeck
job that can push the keys onto a host.

Haven't had to rotate the keys yet, but I presume that we'd either use
the ad-hoc technique, or re-spin the system image and re-deploy the
hosts. Since we're moving towards ephemeral/immutable hosts, this works
for us.

Hope that helps.

- Jeff