Why more disk space use? There would still be one clone of the repo, it
just would be located in different place (not /etc/puppet_HASH, but
directly /etc/puppet).

I think i can see one benefit of doing it the way you did it - we have
guarantee that there will be no things in /etc/puppet that were added
without adding them to git repo. Which is a good thing, I guess.

Thanks,

depesz