On Mar 30, 2015, at 5:32 PM, Vince Skahan <vinceska...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a 16-GB ram Intel NUC
> (http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/nuc-kit-d54250wyk-product-brief.pdf)
>  running Centos7 and was thinking of spinning up some VMs to try this out.
> Does this system have enough oomph to run the 10-node-max free eval, or am I
> going to be stuck with running masterless perhaps ?

When running the eval copy of PE 3.7.2 on AWS, we have found that you can boot
the master if the VM is an m3.medium (3.5GB), but you run into memory problems
that cause the system to be unreliable.  If we use m3.larges (7.5GB), the
systems are just fine.  We haven’t come anywhere close to stressing the CPU or
RAM of an m3.large in that kind of environment, but AWS doesn’t give you a
whole lot of options between them.

So, on a 16GB NUC, I would think you could devote 6GB to the puppet master and
still have enough RAM left over to run 10x nodes with 1GB RAM each, and you
should be fine.

--
Brad Knowles <b...@shub-internet.org>