We found a likely explanation for the Puppet Server service not starting on
PE 3.8.

The newer Puppet Server version in PE 3.8, through transitive dependencies,
needs to be able to load the "libcrypt.so" shared library.  On some Ubuntu
configurations, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't include the directory that this
library lives in.  We found this to be the case with with a default AMI
amd64 Ubuntu 14.04 in Amazon EC2, for example.  This results in the master
failing to start with this cryptic error message.

One can workaround the problem by updating the library path that Puppet
Server uses at startup.  Instructions on how to do that for PE are now
documented here
-
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/pe/latest/release_notes_known_issues.html#ubuntu-conflict-when-youre-running-on-fusion-vm-and-amazon-ec2.

 Also, we have a JIRA ticket with more information about this problem that
we'll use for tracking the longer-term fix -
see https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/SERVER-592.

We would be interested in learning if there are any users who continue to
encounter this problem after trying the workaround.

--- Jeremy