Having already used Puppet a bit by way of a pre-packaged ZIP file created
by the PuPHPet online tool, I decided to try building a simpler VM without
the tool. I have VirtualBox and Vagrant already installed and happy. What
do I do next? I'm getting too many seemingly conflicting instructions.

This looked like a nice simple starting point:
https://github.com/miccheng/vagrant-lamp-centos63 It had three git
commands, after which I should have been able to run vagrant and have a
basic LAMP box.

But the repo said it was deprecated and replaced by this:
https://github.com/sgphpug/Vagrant-LAMP-CentOS64 Okay, fine. But the newer
one has completely different instructions for installation - gem install of
puppet and librarian-puppet, some dependency stuff, etc. I was pleasantly
surprised to discover that I do have Ruby installed (I had no idea - this
is an ordinary Windows PC), so I opened a command prompt, cd'ed to a
logical spot (in case that would matter), and tried the first command: gem
install puppet. After about a half hour, with some complaints about not
being able to convert some things to UTF-8, it was still trying to do
who-knows-what. I looked in several likely spots for some hint that files
related to Puppet were being saved somewhere, but couldn't find anything. I
have no idea where it was installing anything.

While it still ran in the background, I went back to Google and looked for
more info about installing Puppet on Windows. I found this page:
https://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/install_puppet/install_windows.html#automated-installation

That describes a completely different sort of thing from Ruby gems, a more
typical Windows-ish installation. But the Pre-Install Tasks
<https://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/install_puppet/pre_install.html> page
talked of a puppet master that must be on a *nix machine somewhere. It
said: "*Your puppet master(s) should be robust dedicated servers that can
handle the amount of agents they’ll need to serve.*" Hmm, I don't have one
of those, but perhaps it will be all right. After all, I had no trouble
with the PuPHPet boxes.

So I halted the gem-based task (which still hadn't finished!), downloaded
the 64-bit msi file, and ran it. It said: "*This will install Puppet
(64-bit) 3.7.5 and configure the system to fetch configurations every half
hour. This version of Puppet (64-bit) will work with puppet masters running
Puppet 3.0 or higher.*" Hmph! Not only do I not have a puppet master or a
place to put one, but I don't want something running constantly on my PC
that tries to go to some server every half hour for who knows what. The
pre-install page also mentioned Standalone Puppet
<https://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/install_puppet/pre_install.html#standalone-puppet>

that doesn't use a master, but it didn't give any hints about how to do
that.

The sweet little zip file from PuPHPet did not require any Ruby gems, msi
installations, or master servers. Apparently that's yet a third way to run
Puppet (perhaps similar to the deprecated Centod63 repo that didn't require
anything beyond VirtualBox and vagrant).

So, why am I so confused, and could someone clear my head?