yes!

Man, did not think of that. Earlier in the network.pp i have:

  $ifcfg_template = template("ip/ifcfg.erb--TEMPLATE")

I dont recall why I did it like that to start with (the base code of this
class is pretty old, just trying to add the ipv6 stuff now), but if i move
the template call directly to the file resource's 'content' parameter it
all works like i would expect.

Thank you for opening my eyes!

//Adam