So Rob I've managed to do a successful install on a clean Ubuntu 14.04
box, you can see the full transcript from here:
https://gist.github.com/kbarber/837ff7e55e8940a7d1c8

What variations during the installation process do you think are here?

In regards to your other points yesterday:

> I figured out the issue with the embedded database. For some reason letting
> the system default to ::cert for the “ssl_listen_address” had it binding to
> localhost instead of the actual interface it should have. Specifying
> “0.0.0.0” for that option made puppetdb work just fine when using the
> embedded database. It still does not add the firewall rules in though- I’m
> doing that myself.

Its a silly default, I've raised a PR against master for it, should be
able to change it on the next major release 5.0.0:
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-puppetdb/pull/183

> That being said, I did have to push through a change to postgres to allow it
> to use the puppet labs apt-module, since the puppet labs team have not
> managed to keep all their module dependencies in sync. You can see the pull
> request I made for that here-
> https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-postgresql/pull/632/files

Are you using manage_repos or something like that in the postgresql
module to pull in the PGDG upstream repos? My setup just uses the
Ubuntu 14.04 packages, since they come with PG 9.3.

> > root@puppetdb01:/var/log# /usr/local/bin/validate_postgresql_connection.sh
> > 2 10 '/usr/bin/psql --tuples-only --quiet  -h localhost  -U puppetdb  -p
> > 5432  --dbname puppetdb '
>
> The result is that the script hangs while waiting for the user to put a
> password in.

Yeah, you've got to pass through the password in the environment
variable like the manifest does:
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-postgresql/blob/master/manifests/validate_db_connection.pp#L40-L43

Like so:

root@localhost:~# PGPASSWORD=puppetdb
/usr/local/bin/validate_postgresql_connection.sh 2 10 '/usr/bin/psql
--tuples-only --quiet  -h localhost  -U puppetdb  -p 5432  --dbname
puppetdb '
1
        1

root@localhost:~# echo $?
0

>> I’m using a PuppetFile with librarian-puppet.

Are you retrieving modules from git, or using forge versions like I
have? What are the particular versions of all these modules you are
using?

Also ... going back to your original error:

> Error:
> /Stage[main]/Puppetdb::Server::Validate_db/Postgresql::Validate_db_connection[validate
>  puppetdb postgres connection]/Exec[validate postgres connection for
> puppetdb@localhost:5432/puppetdb]/unless: Check
> "/usr/local/bin/validate_postgresql_connection.sh 2 10 '/usr/bin/psql
> --tuples-only --quiet  -h localhost  -U puppetdb  -p 5432  --dbname puppetdb
> '" exceeded timeout

You mention firewalling, is the port properly open? It sounds like
with your previous psql test it is, but it's odd that it's slow, which
brings me to Garrett's comment:

> I put this in Hiera to extend the timeout to 30 seconds. This is often needed
> when using underpowered VM's as PostgreSQL can take awhile to start.

Seem unlikely that a postgresql database, even a large one would need
30 seconds, but if you are seeing delays in starting postgresql then
it's worth a try, just seems odd for a small database, PG usually
takes less than a second to start.

ken.