I'm fiddling with PE 3.8.1 to understand the pros+cons of potentially
updating our 3.7.0 PE server to that as a path toward the coming soon 4.x
version of PE.

Unfortunately, even doing the initial module installations to 3.8.1
immediately showed issues. In this case, I ran into the error in module.rb
mentioned in PUP 3121 and fixed with the two-line patch in
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/pull/3310 - trivial bug, trivial patch
to PE.

According to the PUP the bug was fixed in 4.0.0 (great) but not fixed in
the PE 3.8.x versions that came out after that (not so great).
Hand-patching my PE setup fixed the issue, but there's something that
doesn't feel right about needing to hand-patch a commercial product to get
it to work.

Questions:

   - why wasn't it fixed in the 3.8.1 PE commercial product ?  If PE is
   your flagship commercial product, why would you 'not' backport trivial
   fixes like this for your 'paying' customers ?
   - what, if anything, are you fixing in the 3.8.x PE commercial product
   at this point ?
   - what can we expect in term of bug fixes in the 6 or more month window
   between Open Source 4.x and PE 4.x in terms of supporting your 'paying'
   customers ?

I guess I'm not understanding the business model here.  It's great you're
moving forward to 4.0 and it's improvements, but if your for-pay product
has bugs that will be around for a year plus (ex: this one) until your
commercial 4.0-based product eventually appears, even assuming we jump
day-one to that (we wouldn't, as 'that' will need time to mature), why
would we pay the money to run buggy software ?

Confused in the PL approach toward support of their 'commercial' vs. 'open
source' product lines.....