@John, thanks for your patients with me.  I'm a total noob at this stuff.
 Following the links you gave me, I came up with this: {name  => 'foo', ip
=> '192.168.168.1'}
But the agent says:
 Error 400 on SERVER: "{name  => 'foo', ip => '192.168.168.1'}" is not a
Hash.

The image below from the PE dashboard is why I was trying JSON format
previously.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TWbjAQbAqrY/VZLDhoL4DyI/AAAAAAAAQW8/sQOP_-BSY4E/s1600/PE%2Bjson.PNG>

When I use JSON format, it says it can't convert it into a Hash.

Using your provided sample snippet:
Error 400 on SERVER: "'hosts::hostentries':   'puppet.mybluebolt.com':
'ip': '10.150.28.8'     'host_aliases': 'puppet'" is not a Hash.

I fee like I'm a fish flopping around on the ground...