> I'm attempting a migration from a PuppetDB 2.x and rack Puppet 3.8.1
> install over to the all new 'pc1' puppetserver puppet-agent PuppetDB v3
> stack[0].
>
> On the two nodes I've tried so far (the master itself and a test node)
> I'm getting the following error:
>
> Error 400 on SERVER: Attempt to assign to a reserved variable name: 'trusted'
> on node <node>
>
> This is broadly the same error as PDB-949[1] and at least one other user
> [2] has had this issue with the same setup. If I disable storeconfigs
> then my manifests run with both agents just fine. With storeconfigs
> enabled (and even if the environment is completely empty) this is what
> puppetserver logs
>
> /opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/network/http/handler.rb:58:in
>  `process'
> file:/opt/puppetlabs/server/apps/puppetserver/puppet-server-release.jar!/puppet-server-lib/puppet/server/master.rb:39:in
>  `handleRequest'
> Puppet$$Server$$Master_35370687.gen:13:in `handleRequest'
> request_handler_core.clj:274:in `invoke'
> request_handler_service.clj:14:in `handle_request'
> request_handler.clj:3:in `invoke'
> request_handler.clj:3:in `invoke'
> core.clj:626:in `invoke'
> core.clj:2468:in `doInvoke'
> master_core.clj:47:in `invoke'
> ring.clj:22:in `invoke'
> ring.clj:13:in `invoke'
> comidi.clj:267:in `invoke'
> ringutils.clj:106:in `invoke'
> ringutils.clj:62:in `invoke'
> ringutils.clj:68:in `invoke'
> ringutils.clj:118:in `invoke'
> jetty9_core.clj:408:in `invoke'
> 2015-07-23 17:09:45,728 ERROR [puppet-server] Puppet Attempt to assign to a
> reserved variable name: 'trusted' on node <node>
> 2015-07-23 17:09:45,737 ERROR [puppet-server] Puppet Attempt to assign to a
> reserved variable name: 'trusted' on node <node>
>
> PuppetDB logs only successful updating of facts and the report:
>
> 2015-07-23 17:09:45,224 INFO  [p.p.command]
> [64604053-f1cb-4588-8c09-e7fc95c6b348] [replace facts] <node>
> 2015-07-23 17:09:45,833 INFO  [p.p.command]
> [4f7df7c3-715a-4b97-8eff-917329667a9f] [store report] puppet v4.2.1 - <node>
>
> The above URLs both allude to trusted facts clobbering other facts
> and/or timing issues. I definitely don't have timing issues (given one
> of the agents is colocated with its master).
>
> I've completely purge all of the old Puppet installations and even
> dropped the Postgres DB so I think my stack reall should work.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers as to how I should debug this further?

The problem is, that if you're contacting PuppetDB in this case for
your fact information, something is wrong. The 'bug' is that if PDB is
referenced for this information it tries to clobber trusted_facts, but
you should never get this far under a compilation workflow.

This can sometimes be caused by a timing issue, due to the cache
looking like its expired (even though it was just written) so it
reaches out to the PDB terminus for its answer.

The other cause can be a misconfigured routes.yaml, or some other
workflow problem. What does your routes.yaml look like? This can be
misconfigured to always use PDB for that information, which is bad.
Facts should come from agents, not from a cache inside PDB during
compilation :-).

Also - double check your facts yaml cache, wipe it if necessary (or
back it up just in case) to ensure there is nothing stale. This is
usually not necessary and probably a bit brute force, but worth a
check if you're game.

ken.