I had obtained a similar error on my dev machine CentOS 6.4 with Puppet
3.4.3. Reinstalling Puppet again on my dev machine did not help.

I had noticed that the /tmp directory permissions were changed somehow in
my dev machine. I had to fix it to get puppet agent working again.

Expected :

drwxrwxrwt 27 root root 12288 Jul 18 15:25 /tmp/

The Fix :

*sudo -i
chown -R root:root /tmp
chmod 1777 /tmp*

Note: when I obtained this puppet error, I also obtained another while
rebooting my VM.

*There is a problem with the configuration server
/usr/libexec/gconf-sanity-check-2-exited with status 256*

Fixing the permission/ownership rights on /tmp directory fixed both errors
for me.