Hi all,

I have been trying to configure a number of puppet agents with certificates
and keys that are pregenerated. In theory, this means putting the certs in
the right place and starting puppet agent.

In practise this seems to be hard.

After installing the "puppet" v3.4.3 package on ubuntu 14.04, a directory
tree is created under /var/lib/puppet/ssl as follows:

/var/lib/puppet/ssl
/var/lib/puppet/ssl/private_keys
/var/lib/puppet/ssl/public_keys
/var/lib/puppet/ssl/certs
/var/lib/puppet/ssl/private
/var/lib/puppet/ssl/certificate_requests

I place the key and cert in this tree expecting puppet to "do the right
thing", but when I start puppet agent for the first time as below a new
directory tree is created below /etc/puppet/ssl, new keys are created and
all my pregenerated keys and certs are ignored:

/etc/puppet/ssl
/etc/puppet/ssl/private_keys
/etc/puppet/ssl/private_keys/zonza-hogarth-dev-black-pup01.northeurope.azure.zonza.zone.pem
/etc/puppet/ssl/public_keys
/etc/puppet/ssl/public_keys/zonza-hogarth-dev-black-pup01.northeurope.azure.zonza.zone.pem
/etc/puppet/ssl/certs
/etc/puppet/ssl/private
/etc/puppet/ssl/certificate_requests

Is there a way to make puppet agent's behaviour predictable when it comes
to certs and keys? Which directory is the one a puppet agent should be
using, /etc/puppet/ssl or /var/lib/puppet/ssl?

In all cases puppet is being run as root (with sudo).

root@snip-brk01:~# sudo cat /etc/puppet/puppet.conf
[main]
certname = snip-pup01.snip
server = snip-pup01.snip