Using the following as a reference.
https://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/external_nodes.html#tricks-notes-and-further-reading

I've been attempting to use facts of a node to contribute to the lookup of
the host in the ENC. In my ENC I've tried both shelling out and running
`puppet facts find example.com --terminus yaml` and also loading the yaml
from '/var/lib/puppet/yaml/facts/'. However on the first run this file does
not exist. Also if I change the terminus to puppetdb the facts are also not
present yet in puppetdb. This looks like an ordering issue. If I run the
same ENC with puppet 2.7 then the yaml file is present in
'/var/lib/puppet/yaml/facts/'. With Puppet 3.8 the fact yaml file only
appears after the ENC has run.

Has anyone else come across this issue?
I'm not sure if this is by design or if this is an ordering issue. In my
opinion the facts should be written to yaml cache and puppetdb before the
ENC is executed.