Hi Peter,

Thanks for that!  I must have lost the = in translation from the old post,
I appreciate you 2nd set of eyes.  Now that I'm passed that and have data
in the result, I've only graduated to having incorrect results.  I had used
the any2array function to ensure the array status of the template output
and the blacklist param.  The blacklist param will be delivered from and
ENC (specifically Foreman), and while it should work, I've had issues in
the past with arrays and hashes being taken as strings.  That said, here's
what I see now:

$whitelist = [ foo::a, foo::b, foo::c, foo::d, foo::e ]
$blacklist = [ foo::c, foo::e ]

< apply corrected code, sending notifies for $whitelist, $blacklist, and
$include_list >

The notify outputs show that $include_list is identical to $whitelist.  If
I actually attempt the include $include_list statement (which is usually
commented) I get duplicate resource definition errors since the blacklisted
classes create resources like package { 'apache': ensure => absent } and
the node's purpose might include being a webserver so we have another class
which manages the package resource for apache.

I've experimented with the parameter from the ENC, and how I define
whitelist in params.pp.  I have tried several experiments with quoting the
array elements, with singles, with doubles, not quoting the elements, and
even defining them as strings, and allowing any2array to convert them
before the template.  The outputs are different each time, but the result
is the same.  The blacklist items still appear in the end result.

FWIW, I'm running puppet 3.6.2 on the agent and 3.8.2 on the master, I
assume you refer to current as the version 4 tree.